Have you been experiencing pain while walking, climbing stairs, hiking or even sitting or lying down lately? If you are, then you might be thinking about the treatment options. Some might get the thought of getting a knee replaced or some are still worried about the issue.
Knee replacement is also known as knee arthroplasty. This is a common surgery used to treat the bad knee in the cases where non-surgical treatments do not work. This surgery is usually recommended for people aged around 55 or more. Though it is a common thing the decision of surgery depends on the patient itself.
How bad the knee has to be before getting replaced?
Knee replacement surgery is the last option for some patients. Normally the doctor tries non-surgical options first to treat the knee issues before recommending for any kind of joint surgery including total knee replacement surgery. The non-surgical treatments include physiotherapy, exercises, medication, injections and other treatment apart from surgery.
Doctors also recommend the weight loss to the patient before opting for surgery. Loosing excessive weight and maintaining proper weight can improve the knee.
If you feel the following symptoms you might want to consider the more effective treatment:
- Experiencing chronic pain for long without improvement: If you are feeling pain even after physiotherapy, exercise, medication but there is no improvement it might be the time for you to opt for knee surgery. After knee replacement, pain goes away as much as in 95 per cent of patients.
- Arthritis is affecting your life: You might consider for knee surgery if your arthritis is making it difficult for you to walk, work-life, sleep or other daily routines.
- Knee remains swollen and stiff: If you have swelling, stiffness and persistent pain in your knee, then knee replacement surgery could remove the damage, inflammation tissues that cause stiffness and swelling in the knee.
- knee hurts while resting: Knee pain gets worse while walking, running, or exercising. If knee hurts while you are not doing anything or while taking rest, then it is the time to consider knee surgery seriously.
- Wish to stay active physically: if you love running, skiing, hiking but your knee pain is making it difficult to do anything like this, then surgery might be a good option as the artificial joints could last up to 15 to 25 years.
- If you desire long-lasting relief: More than 90 per cent of people gone through surgery work well even after 20 years of surgery.
Knee replacement surgery is the best option if you have above mentioned condition. You should look for the best knee replacement surgeon if you are planning it. Dr. Arun Partani is the best orthopedic doctor in Jaipur offers best services. He has vast experience and knowledge that helps patients recover fast without any hassle. You can visit Partani Clinic to know more about him.